Golden Tomato Tart
This spectacular tart can be served as an appetizer or as an entrée for a light lunch. It is quite dramatic made with gold tomatoes or any combination of colorful homegrown luscious tomatoes. Any leftover marinade can be used as a base for a vinaigrette dressing.
Makes one tart; serves 6 as an appetizer
For the Marinated Tomatoes
- 4 to 5 medium gold tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 6 to 7 gold cherry or pear tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh chives
- Freshly ground black pepper
For the Filling
- 1 cup soft goat cheese or natural cream cheese
- 3 to 4 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1 9-inch pre-baked pie shell
Put both kinds of tomatoes into a bowl. In another bowl, combine the ingredients for the marinade. Set aside 1/4 cup of the marinade and pour the rest over the sliced tomatoes. Marinate them for at least 1 hour.
In a mixing bowl, combine the cheese with the cream and work them into a smooth, creamy consistency that will spread easily. Mix in the rosemary and spread the cheese mixture over the cooled pie crust.
Arrange the drained tomato slices in a single-layered circular pattern over cheese mixture, using the large slices for the outside and one slice for the middle. Fill in between the rows of large tomatoes with halved cherry tomatoes. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Just before serving, glaze the tomatoes with the remaining ¼ cup of the marinating mixture.