Diane’s daughter, Tracy Lynn Whealy, never was a vegetable fan, but she discovered how delicious cabbage can be through her mother’s pasta dish. This is a beautiful dish when prepared with red cabbage.
Serves about 4
- 2 to 3 cups of cut cabbage (preferably red)
- 1 large yellow onion, cut into rings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup white wine or chicken stock
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Pepper to taste (freshly cracked)
- 2 cups penne pasta (cooked al dente)
- Parmesan cheese (freshly grated)
Melt butter with olive oil in large heavy skillet and saute onion; add cabbage and cook until soft.
Add wine or chicken stock and bring to boil. Add cream and pepper to taste.
Reduce heat and cook for about 30 minutes or until desired thickness.
Toss with cooked pasta and top with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.