Join the team at Heritage Farm!
We are often looking for passionate people to help us in our work. If you care about preserving agricultural biodiversity, promoting the family and cultural traditions of seed saving, contact us about a job at our headquarters at Heritage Farm just north of Decorah, Iowa.
Please email a cover letter, resumé, and the contact information for three references to firstname.lastname@example.org - include the name of the position in the subject line of your email. Applications may also be mailed to: Seed Savers Exchange | Attn: Karen Anderson | 3094 North Winn Rd. | Decorah, IA 52101.
Seed Savers Exchange is an equal opportunity employer.
Seed Savers Exchange seeks a full-time, hourly Administrative Associate. This position provides administrative support to the Executive Director and Deputy Director to fulfill the organization’s administrative, accounting, and human resource needs.
The ideal candidate has excellent oral and written communication skills, an understanding of corporate protocol and discretion, strong organizational and interpersonal skills, and a reasonable level of computer literacy—including a working knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Google Docs, and an ability to work with a CRM and electronic payroll software.
For more details, contact Lynne Rilling at 563-387-5612. To apply, email a cover letter and resumé to email@example.com—include the name of the position in the subject line of your email. Applications may also be mailed to: Seed Savers Exchange | Attn: Lynne Rilling | 3094 North Winn Rd. | Decorah, IA.
Facilities Crew Member
Position Title: Facilities Crew Member—Gardens, Grounds and Facilities
FLSA Status: Permanent, Limited, Part-Time
Reports to: Facilities Manager
This position works in conjunction with rest of the Facilities team on a variety of maintenance activities, and takes the primary responsibility for the care of grounds, particularly on the lower campus of Heritage Farm. This person will also work on the care and maintenance of the physical facilities and equipment, and as part of the support team for events. Some weekend work required.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintains the landscaped areas around the Seed Savers campus. Performs tasks such as watering, weeding, tree trimming, and mulching as needed.
- Works in conjunction with co-founder Diane Ott Whealy on the care of the ornamental display garden next to the barn.
- Assists in event and conference room set-up and tear-down, as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Facilities Manager.
- Supervises volunteers and staff on landscaping projects.
- Is available for alarm response for security management purposes, as required.
- Completes the fleet fuel usage report as required.
- Assist with management and maintenance of guest housing, as needed. maintenance as required.
- Provides support to contractors, as required.
- Assists with driveway maintenance, as required.
- Assists with biannual herd health checks.
- Performs tractor maintenance and repairs, where appropriate.
- Performs small equipment maintenance and repairs, as required.
- Maintains and repairs tools and garden implements, as needed.
- Assists with trail mowing and upkeep.
- Assists with snow removal by shoveling sidewalks and/or plowing driveways and parking lots when needed.
- Assists with poultry care, as needed. Assists with mowing of the poultry yard.
- Transports inventory items between the Mail Room and LGVC as requested.
- Assists in f the construction of displays for the LGVC as requested.
- Transports and moves transplants for LGVC as required.
- Assists with event parking during special events.
- Assists in the setting up and tearing down of stages, tents, tables, chairs, and other items, as needed.
- Provides operational support during special events, such as trash removal and other tasks as assigned.
- An interest in or knowledge of gardening/horticulture
- Some mechanical aptitude
- An eye for detail and orderliness
- Strong organizational skills for the management of equipment
- An ability to use certain pieces of equipment
- Ability to manage workload effectively and efficiently
- Enthusiastic team player
- Flexibility to work on various tasks with other staff members both in and out of the department
- Ability to perform physical activity: lifting up to 100 lbs. assisted); carrying (50 lbs.), bending frequently, climbing, pushing, pulling.
- Ability to perform responsibilities in wide ranging weather conditions.
Must have a valid driver’s license. Must be an enthusiastic team player, have good attention to detail and be flexible to work between various teams as labor needs fluctuate. Some aspects of the position will involve considerable physical activity including lifting, and other motion related to general facilities and grounds maintenance. Applicant should have sufficient mechanical aptitude to be able to run and trouble-shoot the repair of garden equipment. Individual will be required to work special event weekends.
Field Crew Member
This is a 40 hour/week full time seasonal position from approximately August through November. Occasional weekend or holiday work will be required.
Position Title: Field Crew Member
FLSA Status: Non-exempt, Seasonal, Full-time
Application Deadline: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis
To Apply: Please email a cover letter, resumé, and the contact information for three references to firstname.lastname@example.org—include the name of the position in the subject line of your email. Applications may also be mailed to:
Seed Savers Exchange
Attn: Karen Anderson
3094 North Winn Rd
Decorah, IA 52101
This position will support Seed Savers Exchange field staff with all garden work and seed production activities. This work includes collection regeneration and increase growouts, maintenance of perennial collections, commercial seed productions, trial, display, lot check, and evaluation growouts.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Preparing gardens and beds for seeding and transplanting by hand.
- Setting up and maintaining fences, trellises, and pollination cages.
- Transplanting and direct seeding crops by hand.
- Maintaining gardens, including watering, weeding, mulching, trellising and staking.
- Collecting, reporting, and entering data in a timely manner.
- Harvesting fruits, vegetables, grains, and seeds.
- Threshing, extracting, winnowing, and conditioning seeds.
- Following organizational protocols to ensure the genetic purity of accessions.
- Cleaning up gardens at the end of the growing season by removing plant residue, fencing, trellises, and other infrastructure.
- Maintaining an orderly equipment shed.
- Other duties as assigned by the Field Manager.
- Applicants must be an enthusiastic, detail-oriented, flexible team player.
- Interest in seed saving/production and organic/sustainable agriculture preferred.
- Demonstrated practical work experience with plants; experience with organic vegetable crops is preferred.
- Ability to perform field work in wide ranging weather conditions.
- Ability to perform physical activity: lifting (up to 100 lbs. assisted); carrying (50 lbs.), bending frequently, climbing, pushing, and pulling.
- Ability to operate roto-tillers, weed-whips, and other small farm and garden implements.
- Applicants must have reliable transportation to and from work.
- Applicants must have a valid driver’s license.