Join the team at Heritage Farm!
For more than 43 years, Seed Savers Exchange, a non-profit, nationally-focused organization based in the Driftless Region on the outskirts of Decorah, Iowa (near where Wisconsin, Iowa and Minnesota converge on the Mississippi), has focused on conserving and promoting America's culturally diverse but endangered garden and food crop heritage for future generations. Seed Savers Exchange was a pioneer in the advocacy for preserving these heirloom varieties for generations to come, and is committed to keeping these varieties where they belong—in our gardens and on our tables.
Please email a cover letter, resumé, and the contact information for three references to email@example.com - include the name of the position in the subject line of your email. Applications may also be mailed to: Seed Savers Exchange | Attn: Lynne Rilling | 3094 North Winn Rd. | Decorah, IA 52101.
Catalog Field Assistant
Seed Savers Exchange is seeking a Catalog Field Assistant to join our team. This position supports Seed Savers Exchange through the work of scaled, onsite seed productions of open pollinated, heirloom varieties for sale in the catalog. This year-round position includes assisting staff with field preparations, seed production, wet and dry processing, field maintenance, seed harvesting and processing (summer and fall), and catalog seed packing and order fulfillment (winter and early spring).
This is a full-time position working 40 hours/week year-round. Occasional weekend and holiday work may be required.
Applications accepted through December 15, 2019.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Job responsibilities for this position include, but are not limited to:
Catalog Field Production: May through Mid-November
- Transplanting and direct sowing of catalog production crops
- Mulching with hay, landscape fabric and black plastic to maintain soil health and decrease weed pressure
- Maintaining field plots by weeding (manual and mechanical), weed whipping, and intercropping with cover crops
- Hand watering with a water tank as needed
- Monitoring crops for disease and insect pressure
- Following organizational protocols to ensure genetic purity and varietal maintenance of production crops
- Performing wet and dry seed harvesting and processing; this includes seed extraction, seed cleaning, threshing, winnowing, and conditioning
- Assisting in orchard work including bud grafting, weeding, pruning, and bare root lifting
- May be required to lead field crew on specific tasks and be a point person for field crew throughout the season
- Other duties as assigned by the Catalog Field Coordinator and Seed Production Manager
Seed House: Mid-November through April
- Fill retail seed packets by hand, as well as assist with machine packing
- Support the needs of the Seed House by picking and packing seed packet orders for shipment
- Assist with packing, picking, and shipping potato, apple tree scions, garlic, and transplant orders
- Assist with catalog seed lot testing
- Other additional duties as directed by the Inventory Manager
- Ability to work in varying weather conditions
- Ability to stand, kneel, and walk for long periods of time
- Willingness to perform field work in wide-ranging weather conditions
- Ability to perform physically demanding activities including lifting (up to 100 lbs. assisted); carrying (50 lbs.), standing for extended periods of time, bending, kneeling, climbing, pushing, and pulling
- One year experience with organic vegetable, flower, and/or herb production preferred
- Applicant must be an enthusiastic, detail-oriented, flexible team player
- Ability to keep accurate, detailed records in a fast paced work environment
- Applicants must have reliable transportation to and from work
- Applicants must have a valid driver’s license
- Demonstrated self-direction and ability to work alone
- Demonstrated teamwork and ability to do group tasks
- Paid time off
- Paid holidays
- Employee merchandise discounts
- Health care, retirement and lifestyle benefits
Seed Savers Exchange is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to apply. Seed Savers Exchange does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.