Join the team at Heritage Farm!
For more than 43 years, Seed Savers Exchange, a non-profit, nationally-focused organization based in the Driftless Region on the outskirts of Decorah, Iowa (near where Wisconsin, Iowa and Minnesota converge on the Mississippi), has focused on conserving and promoting America's culturally diverse but endangered garden and food crop heritage for future generations. Seed Savers Exchange was a pioneer in the advocacy for preserving these heirloom varieties for generations to come, and is committed to keeping these varieties where they belong—in our gardens and on our tables.
Please email a cover letter, resumé, and the contact information for three references to firstname.lastname@example.org - include the name of the position in the subject line of your email. Applications may also be mailed to: Seed Savers Exchange | Attn: Alex Brandt | 3094 North Winn Rd. | Decorah, IA 52101.
Seasonal Landscaping Crew Member
Seed Savers Exchange is seeking a Seasonal Landscaping Crew Member to join our team. This position will support Seed Savers cofounder Diane Ott Whealy in maintaining her garden, assist SSE staff with maintaining display and trial gardens, and carrying out other landscaping, trail, and grounds-related maintenance activities around Heritage Farm.
This is a seasonal full-time position (40 hrs/week) working from June 1st through September 30st, 2020. Start date may be flexible. Occasional weekend or holiday work may be required.
Applications reviewed on a rolling basis. Position open until filled.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Job responsibilities for this position include, but are not limited to the following:
- Preparing raised beds for direct seeding and transplanting
- Maintaining Diane’s garden, trial/display gardens, and decorative gardens around the visitor center, farmhouse landscaping, and landscaping around other buildings on our upper campus
- Implementing garden infrastructure: trellis lines, pest barriers, pathways and mulching, some fencing
- Tending gardens and landscaped areas, including planting, thinning, watering, weeding, and mulching
- Cleaning up gardens at the end of the growing season by removing plant residue, fencing, trellises, and other infrastructure
- Timely communication with supervisor about the gardens’ integrated pest management needs
- Clearing and maintaining trails on SSE property
- Occasional interaction with visitors who have questions about SSE mission and gardens
- Upholding SSE’s organic system plan and organic certification with garden practices used
- Occasional help with Field Operations may be required
- Other duties as assigned
- Applicant must be detail-oriented and able to work alone and as part of a team
- Applicant must be able to tend to the level of detail required in public demonstrations gardens
- Customer service experience preferred
- Interest in seed saving/production and organic/sustainable agriculture preferred
- Demonstrated practical work experience with plants; experience with organic vegetable crops is preferred
- Ability to operate weed-whips and other small-scale garden implements preferred
- Applicants must have reliable transportation to and from work
- Applicants must have a valid driver’s license
- Ability to work in varying weather conditions
- Ability to stand, kneel, and walk for long periods of time
- Ability to perform physical activity: lifting (up to 100 lbs. assisted); carrying (50 lbs.), bending frequently, climbing, pushing, and pulling
- Paid holidays
- Employee merchandise discounts
- Participation in employee wellness program
Seed Savers Exchange is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to apply. Seed Savers Exchange does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.