Join the team at Heritage Farm!
For more than 43 years, Seed Savers Exchange, a non-profit, nationally-focused organization based in the Driftless Region on the outskirts of Decorah, Iowa (near where Wisconsin, Iowa and Minnesota converge on the Mississippi), has focused on conserving and promoting America's culturally diverse but endangered garden and food crop heritage for future generations. Seed Savers Exchange was a pioneer in the advocacy for preserving these heirloom varieties for generations to come, and is committed to keeping these varieties where they belong—in our gardens and on our tables.
Please email a cover letter, resumé, and the contact information for three references to firstname.lastname@example.org - include the name of the position in the subject line of your email. Applications may also be mailed to: Seed Savers Exchange | Attn: Lynne Rilling | 3094 North Winn Rd. | Decorah, IA 52101.
Seasonal Seed Steward
Seed Savers Exchange is seeking Seasonal Seed Stewards to join our team. These positions will support Seed Savers Exchange field staff with all field work and seed production activities. This work includes collection regeneration, catalog seed production, and evaluation grow outs.
This is a seasonal full-time position (40 hrs/week for 6 month period) working from approximately May 1st - October 31st, 2020. Start and end dates may be flexible. Occasional weekend or holiday work may be required.
Applications reviewed on a rolling basis. Priority deadline January 31, 2020
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Job responsibilities for this position include, but are not limited to the following:
- Preparing fields for direct seeding and transplanting
- Setting up and maintaining fences, trellises, and pollination cages and laying landscape fabric
- Tending fields, including watering, weeding, and mulching
- Harvesting fruits, vegetables, grains, and seeds
- Seed House Order Fulfillment tasks like apple tree grafting, garlic seed packaging, and apple tree packaging
- Threshing, extracting, winnowing, and conditioning seeds
- Following organizational protocols to ensure the genetic purity and organic certification of productions
- Cleaning up fields at the end of the growing season by removing plant residue, fencing, trellises, and other infrastructure
- Maintaining an orderly equipment shed
- Other duties as assigned by the seed production department
- Ability to work in varying weather conditions
- Ability to stand, kneel, and walk for long periods of time
- Ability to perform physical activity: lifting (up to 100 lbs. assisted); carrying (50 lbs.), bending frequently, climbing, pushing, and pulling
- Applicant must be an enthusiastic, detail-oriented, and a flexible team player
- Interest in seed saving/production and organic/sustainable agriculture preferred
- Demonstrated practical work experience with plants; experience with organic vegetable crops is preferred
- Ability to operate roto-tillers, weed-whips, and other small-scale farm and garden implements preferred
- Applicants must have reliable transportation to and from work
- Applicants must have a valid driver’s license
- Paid holidays
- Employee merchandise discounts
- Participation in employee wellness program
Seed Savers Exchange is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to apply. Seed Savers Exchange does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.