Join the team at Heritage Farm!
We are often looking for passionate people to help us in our work. If you care about preserving agricultural biodiversity, promoting the family and cultural traditions of seed saving, contact us about a job at our headquarters at Heritage Farm just north of Decorah, Iowa.
Please email a cover letter, resumé, and the contact information for three references to email@example.com - include the name of the position in the subject line of your email. Applications may also be mailed to: Seed Savers Exchange | Attn: Karen Anderson | 3094 North Winn Rd. | Decorah, IA 52101.
Seed Savers Exchange is an equal opportunity employer.
Seed House Manager
For more than 43 years, Seed Savers Exchange, a non-profit nationally-focused organization based in the Driftless Region on the outskirts of Decorah, Iowa (near where Wisconsin, Iowa and Minnesota converge on the Mississippi), has focused on conserving and promoting America's culturally diverse but endangered garden and food crop heritage for future generations.
Seed Savers Exchange is currently seeking a Seed House Director to join our team. The ideal candidate will build on the organization’s solid reputation and brand and continue to grow the organization’s online and wholesale seed operation. Currently offering more than 800 rare varieties of fruit, herbs, vegetables and flowers, Seed Savers Exchange was a pioneer in the advocacy for preserving these heirloom varieties for generations to come, and is committed to keeping these varieties where they belong—in our gardens and on our tables.
Reporting directly to the Executive Director and President of Seed Savers Exchange, The Seed House Director is responsible for the ongoing operations of the online retail and wholesale operations of Seed Savers Exchange. This work, which generates about 4 million dollars in revenue annually, not only supports the ongoing work of Seed Savers Exchange in its preservation of rare heirloom varieties of fruits, herbs, vegetable and flowers, but its distribution of seeds through online and wholesale operations helps the organization to meet its mission in keeping heirloom varieties growing and extant in gardens across the country.
Working closely with organizational leadership, the marketing staff, the preservation staff, and the farm operations team, the Seed House Director is accountable for the sales, marketing and promotion, internal operations, and customer experience that are at the center of the business model of the Seed House. The ideal candidate will have a background in business administration, branding and/or the online marketplace, will be comfortable leading a team of supervisors and their staff of 15 to 20 employees, and will have an understanding of NetSuite or a similar ERP/CRM operating system. An ability to meet targets and goals in each season along with a clear vision of long-range planning for the continued refinement of the business operation will be critical to the Seed House Director’s success.
Bulk Packing and Order Fulfillment Assistant
FSLA Status: Full-time, non-exempt
Reports To: Shipping and Receiving Manager, Seed Inventory Manager
Primary Role: This is a floater-type position where there are specific daily responsibilities, but a majority of the employee’s time will be spent assisting on other tasks. Primary tasks will be related to seed packing, and order fulfillment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Daily, in order of general priority:
- Package special work order items
- Pick bulk items in cooler for corresponding sales orders
- Coordinate with Shipping Manager to ensure Seed Rack orders go out same-day
- Fill packets and prepack for any items with low inventory
Weekly, as directed or as time permits:
- Fill retail packets, either manually or with packing machine
- Fill pre-pack bulk
- Fill in for shipping department during peak times, or to cover Shipping and Receiving Manager for vacation/absences (mail, pacejet, etc)
- Assist with stock seed packaging and organization
Seasonally, as directed:
- Help pack/pcik/ship plants, potatoes, garlic, and trees
- Assist with seed processing
- Assist with seed inventory cycle counts
- Pick and pack orders in shipping
- Perform other duties as assigned by Seed House Manager or Executive Director
- Self-motivated team player
- Attention to detail
- Flexible, and able to change tasks as priorities change
- Proficient with computerized packing technology—scanning equipment, scales, inventory software
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds regularly
- Standing, walking for extended periods
- Prolonged exposure to cool temperatures +/-45˚ F
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Commitment to working efficiently both as part of a team or independently
- Paid vacation
- Paid holidays
- Paid sick time
- Health care, retirement, and lifestyle benefits
Field Operations Technician/Seed House Support
Reports To: Field and Seed Regeneration Manager / Seed House Manager
Seed Savers Exchange is seeking a Field Operations Coordinator to join our team. The ideal candidate should have practical farm work experience.
Field and Production Activities
Working under the guidance of the Field Manager, the Field Operations Technician will be involved in all stages of field and garden operations and seed production activities. Primary responsibilities include but are not limited to tractor work, garden and field preparation, cover cropping, pollination cage management, IPM, spraying, managing pest exclusion fencing.
Seed House Activities
Working under the direction of the Seed Inventory Manager, the Field Operations Technician will assist with a variety of responsibilities encompassing all aspects of packaging, shipping, receiving, and customer service over the winter months.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Preservation (April to January):
- Executes all field operations including but not limited to soil preparation, cultivation, amendment applications, IPM and cover crop management activities
- Works to install, maintain, repair, and inventory pollination cages and pest exclusion fences
- Plans and implements cover cropping strategies
- Maintain an orderly and function tool shed including organizing and inventorying supplies, and maintaining and repairing hand tools
- Scouts and identifies pests and diseases in fields, root cellars, and greenhouses
- Prepares, applies, and documents organic insecticides and fungicides in compliance with organic certification and applicator safety standards
- Works with the garden crew to efficiently perform field tasks (hand sowing, hand planting, weeding, watering, fertilizing, and harvesting) in accordance with standard operating practices
- Assist in seed harvesting, processing, and conditioning
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Field Manager
- Train seasonal and permanent staff in field operation support
- During December and January assist with seed lab activities including, seed packaging, and seed distribution
- Conduct workshops and/or tours as needed
- Work with facilities manager and crew on repairs and maintenance of tools and equipment
Seed House (February and March)
- Assist with basic customer service and support
- Enter orders received via phone/mail/fax/email
- Contact customers as needed regarding orders
- Assist with bulk and/or retail seed packet filling as needed
- Assemble orders and prepare for shipment
- Assist with potato packing and shipment
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor
- Ability to operate farm equipment including tractors
- Experience with equipment maintenance and repair (small and large engines); mechanical inclination is preferred
- Ability to safely operate large pick-ups carrying trailers and wagons
- Ability to communicate effectively with other staff
- Ability to work well in a fast paced environment with changing day to day needs
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Able to work outside for long days
- Able to work in temperature extremes
- Able to sit, stand, kneel for long periods of time
- Able to lift at least 50 pounds
- Associates degree in horticulture or related field, or equivalent years demonstrated practical work experience in agriculture
- Experience with organic vegetable crop production or seed production preferred
- Applicants must have previous farm experience
- All applicants must possess a valid driver’s license
- Ability to obtain pesticide applicator license
- Paid Vacation
- Paid Holidays
- Paid Sick time
- Health care, retirement and lifestyle benefits