Join the team at Heritage Farm!
We are often looking for passionate people to help us in our work. If you care about preserving agricultural biodiversity, promoting the family and cultural traditions of seed saving, contact us about a job at our headquarters at Heritage Farm just north of Decorah, Iowa.
Please email a cover letter, resumé, and the contact information for three references to email@example.com - include the name of the position in the subject line of your email. Applications may also be mailed to: Seed Savers Exchange | Attn: Karen Anderson | 3094 North Winn Rd. | Decorah, IA 52101.
Seed Savers Exchange is an equal opportunity employer.
Sales and Operations Manager
Seed Savers Exchange is currently seeking a Sales and Operations Manager to build on the organization’s solid reputation and brand and continue to grow the organization’s online and wholesale seed operation. The Sales and Operations Manager is accountable for the sales, marketing and promotion, customer experience, inventory management, and fulfillment of seed orders. The ideal candidate will have leadership experience; a background in business administration, operations, branding and/or the online marketplace, and an understanding of NetSuite or a similar ERP/CRM operating system.
An ability to meet targets and goals in each season along with a clear vision of long-range planning for the continued refinement of the business operation will be critical to the Sales and Operations Manager’s success.
For more than 43 years, Seed Savers Exchange, a non-profit nationally-focussed organization based in the Driftless Region on the outskirts of Decorah, Iowa (near where Wisconsin, Iowa and Minnesota converge on the Mississippi), has focused on conserving and promoting America's culturally diverse but endangered garden and food crop heritage for future generations.
Seed Savers Exchange is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicant should send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include Sales and Operations Manager in the subject line.
Exchange and Outreach Coordinator
Position Title: Exchange and Outreach Coordinator
FLSA Status: Permanent, Full-time, Hourly
Reports to: Head of Preservation
Application Deadline: June 22, 2018
The Exchange and Outreach Coordinator will facilitate the Exchange program at Seed Savers Exchange, the program that shares varieties from the Seed Savers Exchange collection and allows individuals to share home-grown seeds, gardener-to-gardener, through an online community and print publication. The Exchange and Outreach Coordinator will organize and promote the program to grow and connect a community of individuals that garden for seed saving or are seeking to grow heirloom or heritage varieties. The Exchange and Outreach Coordinator will also oversee the Community Seed Network by engaging passionate gardeners on seed saving practices and education. The Exchange and Outreach Coordinator will also lead and coordinate the seed and nursery trade censuses, which are publications compiling the commercial availability of open-pollinated seeds and fruits, berries, and nuts.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Exchange and Print Yearbook
- Serve as point of contact for Exchange inquiries
- Serve as liaison between Seed Savers Exchange and online Exchange web developer
- Coordinate all testing and improvements of online platform
- Lead the promotion, marketing, and education effort for the Exchange
- Communicate regularly with Exchange participants about deadlines to list in print yearbook and any improvements to the online exchange platform
- Organize and coordinate Seed Savers Exchange staff in the production of the annual print yearbook
- Manage non web-based Exchange participant listings by uploading listings to Exchange
- Work with Inventory Technician to fulfill distribution requests
- Develop outreach plans to engage breeders and growers to participate in the Exchange community
- Lead and coordinate the Community Seed Network, a resource for community seed groups in collaboration with USC Canada
- Develop and refine educational materials on seed saving
- Coordinate speaker requests for the organization
- Coordinate and lead annual Seed School
- Lead and coordinate sampling and publishing seed trade and nursery censuses in years which they are produced and work to gather the data for such publications
- Manage workflow of all employees including graphic designers, proofreaders, and preservation specialists involved with producing the annual print yearbook
- Schedule and manage workflow including preservation specialists involved with improving and maintaining online exchange
- Manage workflow of all employees including preservation specialists, interns, volunteers, and work-study students involved with producing the seed and nursery censuses
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and priorities, while meeting deadlines
- Excellent attention to detail
- Web-based literacy
- Able to sit and stand for long periods
- Work in temperature extremes including cold storage rooms
- Ability to lift up to 40 pounds while working in seed storage areas
- Bachelor’s degree in science education, plant science, communications, horticulture
- Demonstrated record of working independently and as part of a team
- Strong project management skills including task delegation
- Strong interpersonal relation skills
- Ability to work with individuals from diverse backgrounds
- Botanical/seed saving background recommended but not required