Dear Members, Supporters, and Friends,
As we all continue to take measures to protect our communities from the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, we want to share an update on the steps we have taken at Seed Savers Exchange’s northeast Iowa headquarters to protect our employees and the larger community as we do our best to get open-pollinated seeds into the hands of gardeners, seed savers, and others around the country.
Please be assured that we also continue to monitor closely the rapidly changing situation regarding COVID-19 and are taking necessary actions in line with the guidance of the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and the Iowa Department of Public Health (IDPH). And please know that our seed bank of more than 20,000 open-pollinated varieties is intact and will be safeguarded.
Heritage Farm and the Lillian Goldman Visitors Center
- We have canceled all events at Heritage Farm—our Decorah, Iowa, headquarters—at least through May 2020. This includes tours and workshops.
- Our Lillian Goldman Visitors Center at Heritage Farm is closed and will be until further notice.
- All buildings at Heritage Farm are closed to visitors; however, our hiking trails remain open to the public.
- In the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic, we have seen an unparalleled surge in seed orders and are doing our best to process and fill these orders as quickly as possible while enacting social-distancing and other measures to keep our staff and community as safe as possible.
- With unprecedented high demand, we have also experienced some inventory shortages while our suppliers, like us, take additional proactive steps to keep their staff and communities safe. Items may be missing from some orders, and those items will be clearly highlighted on the enclosed packing slip. Customers billed for any item not included in an order will receive a full refund for those items. Please note that, at this time, it is unlikely these items will be back in stock for spring planting.
Seed Savers Exchange Business
- All non-essential business travel to off-site events has been canceled for at least the next eight weeks.
- Remote working arrangements have been established for all staff who can do so.
- Protective measures such as sanitizing procedures and social distancing have been implemented for staff who cannot work remotely.
- Any staff who are experiencing respiratory symptoms are required to stay home and not come to work until they are free of fever , signs of a fever, and any other symptoms for at least 72 hours, without the use of fever-reducing or other symptom-altering medicines (e.g., cough suppressants).
- Any staff who become exposed to someone with COVID-19 —or have recently traveled out of state or country by mass transit (bus, plane, or train)—are required to self-quarantine for two weeks. During the quarantine period, they will have the option to use paid time off or work from home if a given position allows for that option.
Thank you for your patience, trust, and support as we do our best to work through this very fluid and unprecedented situation.
Seed Savers Exchange