Heritage Farm in Decorah, Iowa is the headquarters for Seed Savers Exchange. Here you’ll find our seed collection, donor and member services, our educational team, and all of the folks who make sure the seeds you order get to you safely.
Location and Directions
We’re located in the northeast corner of Iowa, just outside the city of Decorah (population: 8,000). Our 890 acre farm boasts rolling hills, stoney bluffs, and beautiful rivers and streams as well as multiple gardens for growing nearly 1,000 varieties of seed each year.
The Lillian Goldman Visitors Center
The best place to start any visit to Heritage Farm is at the Lillian Goldman Visitors Center. We’ll give you an introduction to the history of Seed Savers Exchange and Heritage Farm and serve as your homebase as you wander our display gardens and trails.
We also offer our seeds, seed saving supplies, spring transplants, and other souvenirs for sale inside.
March to November | Open 10am to 5pm daily
November to December 20 | Open 10am to 5pm Thursday through Sunday
December 21 to February 29 | Closed
The Visitors Center is also closed Easter Sunday, July 4th, and Thanksgiving Day.
Schedule a tour
Our staff would be happy to schedule a weekday tour for your group of 15 or more. Please let us know at least 2 weeks in advance of your visit.
Call to Schedule Your Tour: 563.382.6104
What there is to do and see
When you visit Heritage Farm, make sure to stop and see
- Display gardens featuring varieties from our collection and membership
- Diane’s Garden - the special garden of co-founder Diane Ott Whealy
- The Heritage Orchard with over 900 varieties of apple trees and the newly planted Amy Goldman Apple Orchard featuring midwestern apple varieties
- Heritage poultry breeds housed by the barn
- Ancient White Park cattle
- Our beautiful barn
You can also hike for miles on our trails and fish in our trout stream.
Heritage Farm is located just outside Decorah, Iowa. Getting here is pretty straight-forward.
Traveling from farther away? Visitors can fly or ride in to any of the nearby airports or train stations and rent a car to travel to Decorah. You can also make a reservation for airport/strain station pickup or drop off with Decorah's Hometown Taxi.
- La Crosse, WI Train Station - 53.9 miles
- La Crosse, WI Airport - 63.1 miles
- Rochester, MN Airport - 69.8 miles
- Cedar Rapids, IA Airport - 114.4 miles
- Minneapolis/St Paul Airport - 148.9 miles
Lodging and food options
Why not make a weekend of your trip to Decorah?