Visitors Center is closed through February 28th and will reopen on March 1.
Heritage Farm in Decorah, Iowa is the headquarters of Seed Savers Exchange. Here you’ll find our Lillian Goldman Visitors Center and Gift and Garden Store, miles of hiking trails, display gardens and our Historic Orchard. It's also where we host events and house our seed collection. Our entire team (including our preservation and education staff, donor and member services, the garden crew, and order fulfillment team) is based here, too.
Visit Us: Shop & Explore
We’re located in the northeast corner of Iowa, just outside the city of Decorah (population: 8,000). Our 890 acre farm boasts rolling hills, stoney bluffs, and beautiful rivers and streams as well as multiple gardens where we grow nearly 1,000 varieties of seed each year.
Address: 3074 North Winn Rd Decorah, IA 52101
The Lillian Goldman Visitors Center
The best place to start any visit to Heritage Farm is at the Lillian Goldman Visitors Center. We’ll give you an introduction to the history of Seed Savers Exchange and Heritage Farm and serve as your homebase as you wander our display gardens and trails.
Gift & Garden Store: Shop seeds, garden gear and tools, food and garden themed gifts, local art, books, and more. We also have plants available during select times. (Check back for the 2017 plant schedule.)
Explore Gardens, Trails, and More: When you visit Heritage Farm, make sure to experience:
- Display gardens featuring varieties from our collection and catalog
- Diane’s Garden - A beautiful garden designed and maintained by co-founder Diane Ott Whealy
- The Historic Orchard with over 900 varieties of apple trees and the newly planted Amy Goldman Heritage Orchard featuring Midwestern apple varieties
- Heritage poultry breeds housed by the barn
- Ancient White Park cattle
- Our beautiful barn
- Hike miles of trails
- Fish in our trout stream
- La Crosse, WI Train Station - 53.9 miles
- La Crosse, WI Airport - 63.1 miles
- Rochester, MN Airport - 69.8 miles
- Cedar Rapids, IA Airport - 114.4 miles
- Minneapolis/St Paul Airport - 148.9 miles
- Due to tobacco mosaic virus, there is no smoking allowed on the grounds.
- The Visitors Center has set hours, but the trails and grounds are open during daylight hours/sunrise to sunset.
- You may bring your pet if it is on a leash and you clean up after it. We discourage bringing pets at any time during a Seed Savers Exchange event in consideration of all of our guests.
March 1 to October 31 | Open 10am to 5pm daily
November 1 to February 28 | Closed
The Visitors Center is also closed Easter Sunday and July 4th.
Plan your visit around one of our many events, which include interactive workshops, an annual plant sale, conference and campout, benefit concert, and much more. Calendar of events.
Schedule a Tour
Our staff would be happy to schedule a weekday tour for your group of 15 or more. Please let us know at least 2 weeks in advance of your visit.
Call to Schedule Your Tour: 563.382.5990
Heritage Farm is located just outside Decorah, Iowa. Getting here is pretty straight-forward.
Traveling from farther away? Visitors can fly or ride in to any of the nearby airports or train stations and rent a car to travel to Decorah. You can also make a reservation for airport/strain station pickup or drop off with Decorah's Hometown Taxi.
About the Area
Located in the heart of the Driftless region, Decorah and the surround area offer plenty of things to do and see.