Prairie, Red Milkweed
- Perennial and hardy to zone 4
- Plants grow to 5 feet tall
- Bright pink and red, vanilla-scented flowers
- Blooms in June and July
- Grows on moist soils with good drainage
- Preferred food source of Monarch caterpillars
(Asclepias incarnata) Preferred food source of Monarch caterpillars. Often found growing near Joe-Pye Weed. Bright pink and red vanilla-scented flowers appear in June and July. Grows 5' tall on moist soils with good drainage. Perennial. Hardy to zone 4.
Learn to Grow it
Start Indoors: 8-10 weeks before planting out
Germination: 10-15 Days
Plant Outdoors: 12-24” Apart
Light: Full Sun
Instructions - Sow seeds indoors in flats 1/4" deep, moisten soil, cover with plastic, and refrigerate for 10 days. Thereafter, provide light and 50-75°F. This moist stratification is not absolutely necessary, but will help to increase germination.