Join the team at Heritage Farm!
We are often looking for passionate people to help us in our work. If you care about preserving agricultural biodiversity, promoting the family and cultural traditions of seed saving, contact us about a job at our headquarters at Heritage Farm just north of Decorah, Iowa.
Please email a cover letter, resumé, and the contact information for three references to email@example.com - include the name of the position in the subject line of your email.
Lillian Goldman Visitors Center (LGVC) Retail Staff
Job Title: LGVC Retail Staff
Reports to: LGVC Manager
FLSA Status: P/T - Seasonal
Date: February 2017
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
This position will support Seed Savers Exchange by assisting the visitors of Heritage Farm. The individual must be ready and willing to answer visitor questions concerning the SSE organization, gardening and products. The candidate must also be comfortable using the POS system and assisting customers with their purchases. Additionally, this position will lead tours and assist in the maintenance of display gardens. Hours for this position will include every other weekend on both Saturday and Sunday from 10:00 am to 5:00 pm. During the months of May, June, and July, this person may also be asked to work additional hours during the week. Assistance may be requested during special event weekends throughout the season, which will bring about a few back-to-back weekends of work.
Potential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Welcome visitors and answer all customer inquiries
- Utilize the POS system
- Dust and clean store/restrooms weekly
- Assist with maintaining display gardens as needed
- Assist in bar coding of all products as they arrive prior to being put out for sale
- Maintain transplants during the transplant season, including watering and restocking
- Willing to assist in garden duties as assigned – may include but is not limited to: weeding, planting transplants/seeds, watering, pruning, composting, etc.
- Available to work additional shifts for events as assigned in advance
- Other duties as assigned
- Applicant must be an enthusiastic, detail oriented and flexible team player with a positive attitude.
- Must be comfortable with a diverse and changing work environment.
- Must be able to lift up to 20 pounds and be able to meet physical demands of gardening including stretching, bending, kneeling, and walking for extended periods.
- High School diploma or GED
- Retail experience preferred
Seed Savers Exchange is an equal opportunity employer.