Join the team at Heritage Farm!
We are often looking for passionate people to help us in our work. If you care about preserving agricultural biodiversity, promoting the family and cultural traditions of seed saving, contact us about a job at our headquarters at Heritage Farm just north of Decorah, Iowa.
Please email a cover letter, resumé, and the contact information for three references to email@example.com - include the name of the position in the subject line of your email.
Marketing & Development Manager
Job Title: Marketing & Development Manager
Department: Marketing, Membership, & Development
Reports to: Executive Director
FLSA Status: Full-time Regular, Exempt
The Marketing & Development Manager will provide overall leadership for SSE’s marketing, development and public relations activities as it relates to membership, donations, seed sales, retail sales, fundraising, and promotion of SSE’s mission. This position serves on SSE’s organizational leadership team.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- In partnership with related departments, develops and implements an agencywide marketing plan.
- In partnership with the Seed House Manager and Executive Director, develops and helps implement a marketing plan for seed, plants, and product sales, through print catalog, email and social media, and SSE websites.
- Works with Fundraising Coordinator to coordinate various fundraising campaigns and appeals targeted toward members, donors, sponsors, SSE customer base, vendors, and associate business partners.
- Designs and implements strategies for the recruitment and retention of members targeted toward past members, recent customers, and other lists as needed.
- Develops strategies for the capture of customer information via online activity and segmentation of data into targeted sales, membership, and promotional activities. Works with website developer/designer and Seed House Manager to coordinate membership engagement, marketing, and promotion via social media and other online activities.
- Supervises and evaluates Marketing, Membership, and Development staff. Responsible for departmental staff development.
- Establishes measurable goals and evaluates marketing, membership, and development activities.
- Conducts necessary research and trend analysis and reports outcomes to Executive Director and relevant managers.
- Responsible for the management of membership and fundraiser databases, as well as SSE Websites.
- Plans for and implements advertising, public relations, direct mail and other marketing campaigns, including the monthly enewsletters and member publications.
- Collaborates with online web developer/designer, communication coordinator, graphic designer and other managers on a range of promotional activities.
- Prepares annual departmental budget.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
Computer & Technology Skills
To perform this job successfully, the ideal candidate will have familiarity with constituent management software, order fulfillment software, Google Analytics, and social media, as well as design, spreadsheet, and word processing software.
Requires a bachelor's degree in Marketing or related field and a minimum of five years of marketing or related experience; or a combination of education and/or experience. The ideal candidate will possess relevant experience in the areas of nonprofit development and fundraising, marketing, public relations, and/or membership management.
Salary based on experience and qualifications. Benefit package includes health insurance and 401K.
Visitors Center Retail Staff
Job Title: LGVC Retail Staff
Reports to: LGVC Manager
FLSA Status: Part-time Seasonal
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
This position will support Seed Savers Exchange by assisting the visitors of Heritage Farm. The individual must be ready and willing to answer visitor questions concerning the SSE organization, gardening and products. The candidate must also be comfortable using the POS system and assisting customers with their purchases. Additionally, this position will lead tours and assist in the maintenance of display gardens. Applicants must be willing to work at least every other weekend (both Saturday and Sunday), with some additional weekend work required for special events.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Welcome visitors and answer all customer inquiries
- Utilize the POS system
- Assist in upkeep of educational displays, retail displays, flower arrangements, etc
- Dust and clean store/restrooms weekly
- Assist with maintaining display gardens as needed
- Assist in bar coding of all products as they arrive prior to being put out for sale
- Maintain transplants during the transplant season, including watering and restocking
- Assist in garden duties as assigned – may include but is not limited to: weeding, planting transplants/seeds, watering, pruning, composting, etc
- Available to work additional shifts for events as assigned in advance
- Other duties as assigned
- Applicant must be an enthusiastic, detail oriented and flexible team player with a positive attitude
- Must be comfortable with a diverse and changing work environment
- Must be able to lift up to 20 pounds and be able to meet physical demands of gardening including stretching, bending, kneeling, and walking for extended periods
- High school diploma or GED
- Retail experience preferred
Seed Savers Exchange is an equal opportunity employer.