Horticulture Technician- Tissue Culture Technician
Are you passionate about the environment? Do you want to be a part of a cause that strives to maintain biodiversity, provides an alternative to ‘big ag,’ and embraces family traditions and history?
Seed Savers Exchange has an exciting opportunity for an eager and energetic Horticulture Technician – Tissue Culture Technician to join our Preservation Department.
The Tissue Culture Technician will utilize their technical skill and knowledge to facilitate Seed Savers Exchange’s mission of conserving agricultural diversity by maintaining the historic potato and sweet potato tissue culture collections, managing potato grow outs, and assisting in the preservation of other crop types by performing pathology screening.
Based in the beautiful bluff country of Northeast Iowa at 890-acre Heritage Farm, Seed Savers Exchange offers a one-of-a-kind place to work. The city of Decorah is close by and offers large-city amenities in a small-town setting.
Are you ready to join us? View a complete job description here.
To apply, please email a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references to email@example.com. Please include "Horticulture Technician tissue” in the subject line of your email. Seed Savers Exchange is an equal opportunity employer.
Facilities Crew Members
Seed Savers Exchange is currently seeking 1 full-time Facilities Crew Member & 1 seasonal Facilities Crew Member.
Job responsibilities for this position include but are not limited to:
1. Perform building maintenance
-Janitorial services according to schedule and needs of the different buildings,
-Perform building repairs as needed,
-Dusting common areas, offices, and restrooms; trash removal; cleaning boards, furniture, and fixtures
2. Assist with garden operations, layout of new gardens and assist with management of garden supply yards
3. Assists with the set up and arrangement of facilities for a wide variety of functions and events
4. Responds to tractor and equipment needs of other departments. Performs various task such as disking, ploughing, cutting grass/hay etc.
5. Perform construction projects by involvement in building construction, build special tools for garden use and restore or modify antique tools for garden use
6. Assists with grounds and trails maintenance: weeding, planting, and pruning; litter pickup
7. Perform equipment maintenance by performing routine preventive maintenance, repair tools as needed and rebuild tools when economically practical
8. Assist with day to day care of livestock
9. Other responsibilities as directed by supervisor.
High School Diploma or equivalent preferred. Must have a valid driver’s license. Applicant must be an enthusiastic team player, detail oriented, and flexible to work between the various teams as labor needs fluctuate. Some aspects of the position will involve considerable physical activity including lifting up to 50 lbs., and other motion related to general facilities and grounds maintenance. Willingness to work outside during hot, cold or wet conditions as needed. Sufficient mechanical aptitude to be able to run, trouble shoot garden equipment. May be required to work special event weekends.
Wage: $10.00 per hour
To apply, please email a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include "full-time Facilities Crew” or "seasonal Facilities Crew" in the subject line of your email. Seed Savers Exchange is an equal opportunity employer.
Learn about Northeast Iowa