Are you passionate about the environment? Do you want to be a part of a cause that strives to maintain biodiversity, provides an alternative to ‘big ag’, and embraces family traditions and history? Based in the beautiful bluff country of Northeast Iowa at 890-acre Heritage Farm, Seed Savers Exchange offers a one-of-a-kind place to work. The city of Decorah is close by and offers large-city amenities in a small-town setting.
Job Title: Fundraising Coordinator
Department: Marketing, Membership and Development
Reports to: Marketing and Development Director
FLSA Status: Regular, non-exempt
Revision Date: November 2014
Application Deadline: November 14, 2014
The Fundraising Coordinator will plan, manage, execute and report on activities that raise funds to support Seed Savers Exchange activities. This includes fundraising campaigns via mail, email, web and social media; data entry and organization about donors, donations and communications between them and SSE; and working with SSE staff to find, apply for, and manage grant applications.
Bachelors Degree and a minimum of three years experience working in a fund raising/development or similar environment. The ideal candidate will have a proven track record soliciting funding for non-profit programs, possess excellent communication skills and enjoy talking with members and donors.
Successful candidate will be able to quickly and accurately enter donation information, track communications with donors and foundations, plan and organize personal visits, and create reports for management about campaign and grant results.
Ability to use Word, Excel and PowerPoint. Using new technology to support fundraising work is a plus.
For a complete description of this position, download the posting here .
To apply, please email a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include ‘Fundraising Coordinator' in the subject line of your email. Review of applications will begin immediately. Seed Savers Exchange is an equal opportunity employer.
Horticultural Technician – Garden Crew Leader/Seed House Support
Job Title: Horticultural Technician – Garden Crew Leader/Seed House Support
Department: Preservation/Seed House
Reports to: Field Manager/Seed Inventory Manager
FLSA Status: Regular full-time; 10 months Preservation/2 months Seed House
Revision Date: October 2014
Preservation (February to November):
Working under the guidance of the Field Manager, the Horticultural Technician will utilize a team to lead all stages of germplasm regeneration and collection maintenance in the field. The Garden Crew Leader will assist in all aspects of seed production, and vegetative crop propagation and maintenance.
Seed House (December and January):
Work under direction of Seed Inventory Manager, or Customer Service Coordinator, depending on where assistance is needed most. Variety of responsibilities will encompass all aspects of speaking with customers, and receiving, packaging, and shipping orders.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Preservation (February to November)
1. Assist the Field Manager in performing all garden activities including, but not limited to garden preparation, seeding, transplanting, watering, weeding, mulching, staking, fencing, harvesting, and garden clean-up.
2. Lead a team of up to 5 field crew members daily during the growing season to carry out garden installation and maintenance and projects related to Preservation activities.
3. Maintain accurate records of seed production and garden activities and enter data into the Preservation database.
4. Hire and train seasonal and permanent staff as needed.
5. Monitor, schedule, and perform seed processing activities including drying, cleaning, and conditioning. Train and oversee seasonal and permanent staff on SSE’s seed cleaning methods. Maintain up-to-date protocols.
6. Assist with managing pests and diseases (scouting, pesticide application, other organic pest control methods) utilizing certified organic practices in fields, root cellars, and greenhouses.
7. Assist with seed lab activities, including germination testing, seed packaging and inventorying, and seed distribution during winter months.
8. Assist, as needed, with other seed lab and greenhouse activities.
9. Conduct workshops and/or tours, as needed. Perform additional duties as assigned by the Field Manager.
Seed House (December and January)
1. Basic Customer Service and support: Being knowledgeable about the Seed Savers Exchange mission, assisting members and customers with questions they may have and responding in a timely manner (via mail, email, phone, etc.).
2. Order Entry: Enter orders received via phone/mail/fax/email. Contact customers as needed regarding orders.
3. Seed Packing: December to March is the busiest time of year for seed shipments. Assist with bulk and/or retail packet filling as needed.
4. Order Fulfillment: Assemble orders and prepare for shipment. May also involve understanding of shipping software and operation of shipping computers/equipment.
5. Potato packing and shipment.
6. Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Associates degree in horticulture or related field, or equivalent years demonstrated practical work experience in horticulture. Applicants must have previous farm experience. Experience with organic vegetable crop seed production preferred. All applicants must possess a valid driver’s license.
Excellent computer skills, including ability to work in complex databases
Ability to communicate effectively with other staff
Ability to work well in a fast paced environment with changing day to day needs
Ability to work independently and as part of a team
Ability to safely operate large pick-ups carrying trailers and wagons
Ability to operate small farm equipment
Ability to lift 30 lbs routinely, 50 lbs occasionally
To apply, please email a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references to email@example.com. Please include ‘Horticultural Technician – Garden Crew Leader/Seed House Support' in the subject line of your email. Review of applications will begin immediately. Seed Savers Exchange is an equal opportunity employer.
Or mail to:
Seed Savers Exchange
Attn: Karen Anderson, Human Resources Specialist
3094 North Winn Road
Decorah, Iowa 52101